Places of interest in Burnley, BB10
Each year, Burnley hosts the two-day Burnley National Blues Festival, one of the largest Blues festivals in the country, drawing fans from all over Britain to venues spread across the town. In the 1970s, it was also an important venue for Northern Soul; several local pubs still hold regular Northern Soul nights. In recent years, the town has also hosted an annual balloon festival in the setting of Towneley Park. A funfair is usually held around the second weekend in July at Fulledge Recreation Ground, which is also home to town?s main Guy Fawkes Night celebration.
In 1913 the Burnley directors decided to demolish the "Stars" stand for a second time, just 15 years after it had been rebuilt. In the same year, the Brunshaw Road stand was further extended to run the whole length of the pitch and in 1914 a roof was constructed to cover the terracing at the Cricket Field end, thus increasing the capacity of the ground to almost 50,000. In 1922, Turf Moor hosted its only FA Cup Semi Final; a crowd of over 46,000 turned out to see Huddersfield Town achieve a 3?1 victory over Notts County. On 23 February 1924, a crowd of over 50,000 saw Burnley secure a 1?0 win over Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup Third Round. The attendance was later confirmed to be 54,775, which is still a record for Burnley. In 1927, Turf Moor hosted its only international fixture when England played Wales. England lost the match 2?1, with Burnley captain Jack Hill scoring an own goal to give Wales the win. In 1932, the Burnley Supporters' Club raised funds to install a hut and scoreboard at the Bee Hole End of the ground. Six years later, plans were announced to build a new covered terrace on the site of the old "Stars" stand, but these plans were delayed by the outbreak of the Second World War.
Looking towards the canal on the left from Colne the remains of the derelict railway line from Colne to Skipton can be seen, a little further along is the small village of Salterforth, there is a canalside pub here called the "Anchor", an unusual feature of which is that when a road and bridge were built outside it needed another storey to be built on, so the original upstairs of the old pub is now the present pub, the original pub is now the cellar and it has a second cellar, this has water leaking through from the canal and has stalactites and stalagmites.
The hill is on farmland, but has public footpaths that allow access.
On Sundays the service is every two hours.
Information by Wikipedia.com